Friday, November 27, 2009

Alteration Dilemma

So a while back, I got suckered into a good deal. A great deal actually. I bought a Miss Sixty wool winter coat that I loved for significantly cheaper than the price that it was in stores. Right now, it is at Macy's and Overstock.com for $150 - $170, which is not even close to what I paid! What a steal I got!

However, the only problem was that because it was such a steal, I never really got to try it on before buying it. Unfortunately, the coat is about one size too big for me. Everything, the shoulder to shoulder seams and the chest are about one to two inches too big for me!

Now, next week I have a reading week, and I’m thinking of going and finding any tailor that I can to take in this coat. But my question is: has anyone ever gotten a wool coat altered? I want to get the whole top half taken in. Does anyone have any advice for me, or can tell me if this is even possible? Will altering ruin the coat?

coat front

close up of coat

coat


What I’m most concerned about is the back pleats being destroyed. I bought this jacket specifically because of how the back pleating looked! It’s so Blair Waldorf / preppy schoolgirl cute!

Here is a picture of the pleats, I tried to make the pleats visible by separating them.

coat pleat


PS, I'm sorry about the bad photos...photography is not my forte!

10 comments:

  1. Hmm I have no idea if it will ruin it, but that would definitely be a shame if it did b/c it's such a cute coat!

    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coat is super-cute...i love the chic color!

    www.callmestylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. an amazing tailor will never cease to amaze, so i would just start by asking the experts. in my supremely limited knowledge it looks like it should work, good luck. let us know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It fits me - so I'm taking it. No need for alterations. You can just enjoy looking at me while I flaunt those back seams. That bitch Blair will have nothing on me. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a Harris tweed coat by Ossie Clark taken down two sizes by an expert tailor. You just need to find the right person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm I don't know, but I'm sure it can be done. Good luck! And I love steals =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE IT, miss sixty will forever remain my favorite designer, the jeans are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh honey I love the coat such a pity it didn't fit you!But I'm sure that a good taylor can fix it.I heard that there are special sewing machines for wool so you might be lucky!good luck with the coat hope it will fit you like a glove!
    xoxo

    http://hisforhotcouture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you'll need a good tailor for this. I'm currently enrolled in a sewing class right now and although right it's skirts w/c I'm altering, they just alter the sides in equal proportion and leave the middle behind and so I hope that your pleats will stay untouch.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never had a coat tailored; but it can be done. I have had other pieces tailored and they've turned out marvelous - my sister even had her prom dress taken in, and you couldn't even tell! Just find someone who seems like they know what they're doing.

    They need to measure you with the coat on, and pin things here and there. If you see them doing those things, I think you're in good hands! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and it gives me a chance to read your great blogs and discover some amazing new blogs as well! I promise to comment on your blogs as well!